Saturday, March 16, 2013

Flowers rule


Here's Lyla at lunch after going to the library.  That book is a collection of several critter books.  One of the other books she initially chose was a single-volume version of the first critter book in that collection.  It took me several minutes to explain to her that the single-volume version would not be necessary to check out.

"But I'll just check it out."

"But that book is right here in this book.  See?  The pages are the same."

"But I want this book."

"But you have that book in this book."

"I want to check it out."

"Let's page through it.  See how these pages are exactly the same?  See how the next pages are exactly the same, too?"

She finally agreed, but I still think she thought I was trying to put something over on her.

Then after lunch we went to the grocery store, and Lyla suggested we buy flowers.

"For Mommy?  That's a great idea, kiddo."

"No.  For me."

"You're going to share them with Mommy?"

"No."

"Are you going to let Mommy look at them?"

"She can come into my room and look at them if she wants."

"I see.  Is there a particular color you had in mind?"

"Um, red.  Red tulips."

So I bought Lyla red tulips, and now they're in a vase in her room.  What other option is there?  If a dad and daughter are out and pass flowers and the daughter requests flowers, the dad must comply.  You can't get around it; it's a rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment