Thursday, March 21, 2013

Closing


Lyla's excited to be moving to the Explorer Room at daycare in two days.  In the Explorer Room, the kids do multi-variable calculus and also date each other.  We think Lyla's tendency to put her cardigan on inside-out will aid her in the first but not the second.

Here's a letter--

"It's a postcard, Daddy."

--a postcard she wrote to her teacher.


She said the words she wanted to write, and I told her how to spell them.  In case you're struggling to read it, it says: "TO AMY NEXT WEEK I WILL BE AN EXPLORER LOVE."

It used to say "Love, Lyla," but she tore off the "Lyla" part.

"I wanted it to say 'Love Amy.'"

"It should say 'Love, Lyla,' because you're the one sending the letter."

"No, Daddy!  It's a--"

"Postcard.  You sign a postcard by saying 'Love' or 'From' and then your name."

"But I don't love Lyla.  I love Amy."

"Ah.  But when you--"  How on earth do you explain the concept of closing a letter to a stubborn four-year-old?  "Hey Lyla, I think dinner's ready."

"Yesss!"

That's how.

No comments:

Post a Comment