Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Points


A while back, in response to battling with the kids to get them out the door in the morning, Julie created a point system.  If Lyla and Rowan behave civilly during the morning's many rituals, they each get points in the car.

"Mommy, I want four points," Lyla will say.

"You were a good listener, so you get four points, Lyla."

"I wan two pints, Mommy!"

"You get two points, Rowan."

Occasionally a child loses points for insubordination.  Gross insubordination results in zero points; I've seen it happen, and it's a hard lesson indeed.  But Julie reports that the point system has eliminated nearly all the stress and heartache in the morning.

"Mommy, I want one hundred points.  I was a really good listener."

"Lyla, you get one hundred points."

"Yes!  And Mommy?  Rowan can have one hundred points, too."

"Rowan, you also get one hundred points."

"I wan two!"

"Two points it is."

I should mention that the points can later be redeemed for absolutely nothing.  They are totally worthless, totally imaginary.  Yet they totally work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment