Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Double bogey

My grandma's husband Merle golfs three times a week.  Julie and I have golfed three times total (combined), so we were a little nervous to insert ourselves into his round yesterday.  Then again, we got four hours away from the kids, so the accompanying feelings of glee ultimately squashed every speck of golf anxiety.

Plus, she looks like she knows what she's doing:


Julie and I were pretty evenly matched, playing best ball while Merle played through.  Usually each time we took a shot, one of us hit it far and/or accurately enough to give the illusion of semi-competence.  I can definitely see why people golf, though if I continue doing it, I hope I remain content to merely hit the ball straight without obsessing over everything that proper golfers obsess about. 

Twenty years from now, Julie and I will belong to some suburban golf organization and have golf friends and our own clubs.  We'll talk golf, reminiscing about tough lies and the time that drive hit a bird right out of the sky.  Hopefully I'll be only mildly embarrassed about my 100 handicap.

No comments:

Post a Comment